Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Funny Girl

Just two more days until the holidays!! I've only got a vocal warmup tomorrow morning and then my clowning class until 1:00 and I am home free. It's hard to believe we already have a break because it feels like we just got started!

My classes have been going really great. In acro yesterday I actually stood up on someone's sholders! It was terrifying and I wanted to come down but they made me stand up and put my hands on my hips. I had forgotten how much I hate wobbly heights. I'm getting better at my handstand, though. I can almost do one without using a wall.

For the past two weeks we have been learning about clowing from a man named Andrew. Although stand-up comedy is a lot more exhausting and scarier, I like it better than clowning. It's not really my kind of humor. Tomorrow we are putting on a show for the fourth years. I'm wearing a HUGE yellow shirt, bright green shorts, pink tights and pink leg warmers. Also a red nose. For the first part of the showing I am one of the ushers. We are going to make everyone shuffle around in their seats blow whistles at them for being too loud and pretend that one of them is a reviewer so we'll suck up to them a lot. For the next sequence I play the innocent/lower status clown who doesn't understand that her boss wants her to move a table. We go back and forth with her pointing to where she wants the table to me mimicing her actions. Finally she moves the table herself and I move it back. I'm very proud of myself :) We also run around with a sheet on our heads thinking the other one is a ghost. Silliness.

Clowning is actually pretty hard. I don't really get it. Clowns get into a lot of stupidness and my brain stubbornly remains too attached and logical. I think I'm better at stand-up. Last week we had an extra session. We each performed a bit about something tabboo. I talked about my experiences with being a minister's daughter. I think I'm going to expand on the bit for my five mintue routine that we'll be presenting in a few weeks. Anyone got any good stories?

Yesterday during my Video Tech class I asked one of the professors what he knew about film editing. He said that he would be willing to teach me some stuff about the programs editors use. I did a lot of research later that night and I'm really excited to learn more. I am going to be takinga video editing class next semester so hopefully I'll be able to figure out if it's something I want to pursue.

In my Video Tech class we would watch a scene from a TV show called Neighbors (Australia's soap opera) and then recreate the scene with the equipment in the studio. I've had a chance to run a camera, act, and be floor manager. We also did a "free-style" recording where we through out the cuts in the script and I got to "edit" the scene on the fly. It was hard because it was pretty fast paced and I only had a chance to run through the scene once, but it turned out pretty good.

After class I went to the movies with Jeff, Nate and some other friends. We saw Gran Torino, which I didn't think I would like very much but was pleasantly surprised.

Tomorrow the Drama Centre is having a First Year/Fourth Year party and we've been invited as honorary first years. It'll be fun to hang out with them outside of class. Last weekend we went to our friend Sara's birthday party. Jeff drove and we got lost about three times. Streets aren't always marked very clearly. It took us about two hours to get there. . . she only lives about 45 mins away.

Happy Easter everyone!

No comments: