Sunday, March 8, 2009

Vacation Time

From my view in the library right now, I can see a baseball game going on, a ton of trees, the skyline of Adelaide, and a deep blue ocean. I love walking to school and being able to see the water. Too far to see the beach or anything like that, but it's still a gorgeous view.

Class started last Monday but until the 16th my schedule is extremely light. On Monday I had my Film Form and Analysis lecture. I thought the class was going to be about learning how to use a camera, edit films, etc. However, it's more of a discussion based class about the elements of film. I wasn't sure if I was going to stay in the class but I think it's going to be really interesting. The class isn't going to teach me the hands-on practical knowledge that I'm most excited about learning, but it will help me understand the thought process behind making films. It will give me a creative vocabulary and an understanding of film structure. The class consists of a 3 hour lecture/film screening on Mondays and then an hour long tutorial. I'm not sure what's going to happen in the tutorial, but I think it's basically a small discussion group.

I didn't have another class until Friday. On Fridays I've got Contemporary Australian Drama with Nate, Jeff and the fourth year drama students. It's a fairly small sized class and should be really interesting. The classroom itself opens to a courtyard so when it's warm out we can have the door open and enjoy some sun. I really like the way the class is set up because I think it takes into account various learning styles and doesn't seem like one of those plug and chug kind of things. Every person is assigned one play to research and one play to direct a one hour rehearsal. We are required to give a presentation on the play we research and then write a short paper. At the end we will write a longer paper about any three plays we wish (of the ones covered in class). It's a nice system because you are able to read as much or as little as you like and you can choose to read plays that interest you. I plan on reading as many of them as I have time for. The library has most of the plays on our list along with a ton more. I think it would be beneficial to have read a plethora of Australian plays because it will give me an interesting pool to draw from when and if I decide to direct something someday. I'm hoping to maybe find something to direct in my senior year.


Downtown Adelaide

Yesterday Diane, Angela, Katie and I went into the city to see the South Australia Museum. It was pretty small and not one of the better museum's I've been to. The part about the Aboriginal culture was interesting, but vague. They also had some stuffed animals, but they weren't nearly as nice or as plentiful as the ones in the Field Museum.


Katie kissing a llama.

After the Museum we walked around Rundle Mall for awhile and then ate dinner at a little cafe/restaurant. Most of the restaurants on Rundle Street didn't open their kitchens until 5:30. The system for ordering food is also different. Instead of having a waitress you order your food at the counter. Someone will bring you food and fill your drinks, but it's not as personable. I think this practice is pretty common at most restaurants in Australia. You also aren't required to tip the servers because they get decent pay.

Tomorrow is the Adelaide Cup Day (which I think is a horse race) so we don't have any classes. I think we are going to go to the beach and enjoy the sun and warm weather. Once my other classes start I'll let you know more about them. I don't have class again until Friday so I'm hoping to use this week to explore some more of the city, go to the beach, read, and hang out with my friends. It's nice to have this break to be able to settle in and get used to Australia before I have to start doing work!

Haven't gotten to homesick yet but I miss everyone back home! Hope everyone is doing well! Anything going on exciting for spring break? I hear the weather is pretty nice at home.

No comments: